We arrive in Durness & Balnakeil beach, visit Smoo Cave
the route for day 1 and day 2 is a sample itinerary and can be amended if you prefer.
Walk into and inside Smoo Cave
(yes, we can)
– We can always go inside Smoo Cave – from the hostel it is actually only 5-10 minutes walk down the stairs and down the hill into the cave entrance from the westside.
– You can then go deeper inside the cave, which is accessible to the public.
– as there is another path on the eastside – to round it up and get the best all round views of and also into and inside the cave, I always recommend the full loop walk.
– what I also do, whenever possible time permitting, on the eastside I extend the walk down to the cliffs and coastal viewpoint
Boat trips inside Smoo Cave
(no, we can’t, unless we arrive earlier enough during the season into Durness)
– Once inside the cave, as there is a waterfall from the top/roadlevel into the cave, it is possible to go deeper into the cave, but only on a guided boat trip tour
As we will have a quite a long drive getting there and back again, I am afraid we normally arrive after 5pm into Durness and normally leave Durness before 10am, unless otherwise discussed or requested.
June, July*, August
April, May, Sept, Oct
Nov – March
10am – 5pm
11am – 4pm
& go for a walk along the spectacular cliffs & beach