1 day tour
for your private, flexible tailor-made small group
sample itinerary 1D#10
Cairngorm nationalpark tour options:
- Full circuit round tour of the Cairngorm nationalpark (see sample round tour itinerary below) – this would involve a lot of driving and even though you see a lot, there will be less time to actually see, explore and experience places outside the mini-bus
- Cairngorm nationalpark East/Royal Deeside – this will enable you to have time to choose to either epxlore Braemar, Ballater & if you wish Balmoral, Braemar castle, walking, visit Lochnagar distillery, etc.
- Cairngorm nationalpark Westside – you will have time to choose to either discover and explore Aviemore, Loch Morlich beach and fantastic, loch, mountain, glen & forest nature walks through pristine Caledonian pineforest, Cairngorm mountain funicular railway, Loch Insh, border collie sheep dog farm, Carrbridge,, Kincraig wildlife park, Newtonmore Highland life open air museum (always a highlight for “Outlander” fans) and in addition awesome different routes going and coming back, etc.
We would be delighted to run this tour as a private, small group tour (up to 8 people)
Cairngorm Mountain railway
Kincraig wildlife park
Leault working sheep dog farm
House of Bruar
Falls of Bruar
Check our longer 2 day tour 2D#5 to see and experience more and take it more leisurely.
Cairngorm nationalpark round tour – sample itinerary
Spectacular round tour around Scotland’s largest nationalpark
We travel from Stirling through Perth and past Scone palace north past picturesque Blairgowrie and climb up the pass of Glenshee along the ski route.
We have a stop before we heading into Aberdeenshire and drive along Royal Deeside to the historic village of Braemar, home of the world famous Royal Highland gathering, where we will be stopping for a walk.
We drive past Braemar castle and the stately home of the Farquharson clan before at Crathie we are close to Balmoral castle and the the royal Crathie church.
The overall day, our timings, our activities, if more outdoor walking, having photostops up at the high Cairngorm mountain resort near the reindeer centre and stunning Loch Morlich and if we can take this or that high mountain pass route or not and if we have to take a diversion will very much depend on the weather.
Some of what we will do and see will also depend on the preferences of the group.
We will have to play it by ear, but the plan is for a full circuit around the Cairngorm nationalpark.
We will visit Victorian Ballater, cross the Cock bridge and drive along stunning mountain passes up the Lecht ski resort and through Tomintoul and then head south along the A9 with stops at Carrbridge (300 year old military bridge) /Aviemore (when there is time and good weather a visit of stunning Loch Morlich/Cairngorm mountain ski resort past the reindeer centre is an option) plus if the group is into walking there are some more fantastic walks in the Newtonmore/Kingussie/Kincraig area or just having free time in Aviemore, plus you have the Kincraig wildlife park , or visit a working sheep dog form or Highland Folk museum (where some Outlander scenes were filmed) or can visit the Cairngorm reindeer herd and there is a lot more to do and see in the Cairngorm nationalpark
We drive past the Dalwhinnie distillery, Blair Atholl castle, Killiecrankie and have some more scenic stops before after a possible stop at the Victorian tourist town Pitlochry and Dunkeld and depending on time and weather possible more scenic routes and stops, we are heading back to Stirling again.
This route depending on the weather or specific requests for time sensitive visits, etc. can also be reversed.
View some of our past tours to the Cairngorm nationalpark
- long distance multi-stop day tour
- allowing for some limited free time, flexible activities, nature, walks, bens. lochs & glens, ski resorts, mountain views, wildlife, castles & more
Prices for a 1 day tour
|SEASONS:||LOW = November to 15 March||MID = 16 March to 30 April + October||PEAK = May to September|
|Tour (=driver/guide+vehicle)||Cost per day||10 hours||(or longer – no extra)|
|Tour price per person/passenger numbers for your private small group tour:||Low-||Mid-||Peak-season|
|8 tour passengers||£30 (£20*)||£37||£45|
|7 tour passengers||£34 (£22*)||£42||£51|
|6 tour passengers||£40 (£26*)||£50||£60|
|5 tour passengers||£48 (£32*)||£60||£72|
|4 tour passengers||£60 (£40*)||£75||£90|
|3 tour passengers||£80 (£53*)||£100||£120|
|2 tour passengers||£120 (£80*)||£150||£180|
|1 tour passengers||£240 (£160*)||£300||£360|
Low season full day private small group tour = £240 per day
Mid season full day private small group tour = £300 per day
Peak season full day private small group tour = £360 per day
|*=Short (2/3) day 7 hour low season or winter short daylight hours tour = £160 per day|
|Included:||Fully guided tour||Driver/guide & vehicle||Scheduled ferries to any Scottish islands included on 2 days & longer tours (Outer Hebrides minimum of 3 days & Shetland minimum of 4 days tour)|
|Excluded:||Entrance fees||Castles, museums, attractions, food/drinks||& overnight accommodation – we recommend/assist – but you choose your price category, i.e. hostel, B&B or hotel|
|Discount # 1
(applies all year round)
Half day tour
1/3 day tour
= 5 hours
= 3.5 hours
|10 hours = 1 day rates
= 50% off
= 2/3 off
|Discount # 2
(applies all year round)
|2 day tour
3 day tour
4 day tours
5 day tours
6 day tours
7 days & longer tours
does neither apply
if Loch Ness
nor if Skye is included
(other than a brief pass through photo-stop)
|Discounts 3, 4 & 5
|from October to April:||(i.e. don’t apply May to September)|
|Discount # 3||Early booking/
|1 month =
2 months & earlier =
|10 % off
|Discount # 4||3 people or more booking/paying together
at the same time,
the tour is designated as a multi-day walking tour
|20 % off|
|Multiple discounts||are not available for||discounts # 2, 3 & 4||but ok incl. discount #1 & 5|
Discount # 5 = just charging for the driving time:
An additional discount may be requested on our 4 days & longer tours (throughout the whole year, incl. peak-season),
if for example for half a day (i.e. half a day without a mini-bus/driver/guide),
if everyone in your private small group prefers join an activity, a sport, a local event or just to relax, chill out, do their own thing, take & soak in the magic & special atmosphere of the place, go for a walk alone, visit a local attraction, castle, museum or just catch a passenger only ferry to a very small island or something similar along those lines.
Visits, A to B journeys & walks
Concerning same day VISITS (i.e. no scenic touring & multi-stopping involved), A to B journeys & day WALKS (from October to April)
Example only for a same day VISIT, A to B journey or day WALK:
- Pick you up from A (i.e. where you live or stay)
- Drive for 2.5 hours (in this example) from A to B
- At B you have free time or a VISIT (a town, castle, whisky distillery, museum, attraction, event or similar at your own expense) or go for a WALK
- After a few hours at the end of your VISIT Unicorn Tours picks you up again from B or meets you at the other end of your WALK ( & often I meet you half way into the walk, as I am parked at the far side of the trail, where your walking path ends. On a circular walk I might join you – please note there is no extras payable for those semi-guided same day walks.)
- From B we drive back for 2.5 hours (in this example) to A and drop you off there or anywhere else you choose/pre-arranged
We only charge for the driving time in this example = 2.5 hours from A to B + 2.5 hours from B back to A = 5 hours
5 hours in this example = half of the 10 hour standard daily rate
Please note that there is a different rate for fully guided CITY (walking) tours, for example a whole day fully guided tour of Edinburgh, subject to duration, season, itinerary & group size.