Mid-semester tour # 2
Thu. 21st – Sun. 24th February 2019 – Isle of Lewis & Harris – Outer Hebrides – 4 day tour
We start our tour from Stirling/Uni,
but on request we can also pick up from additonal locations, such as Inverness, Perth, Dundee & St. Andrews, etc.
- The tour for nature, wildlife and beach lovers to some of Scotland’s wildest cliffs and ancient monuments.
- Stunning journey to Scotland’s outer edge and wild Atlantic coast, to the heart of Scotland’s Gaelic culture, Callanish standing stone circle, Carloway broch, blackhouses, but above all we will visit some of Scotland’s most beautiful beaches, cliffs, mountains and coastal scenery & a nature’s paradise £109 pp, incl ferry, 2 hostel nights £19 pp per night right in the heart of Stornoway right by the harbour + 1 night £22 in the midst of some amazing coastal & mountain scenery – this is the tour for nature, wildlife and lovers of wild, golden empty beaches..
Key points of your itinerary:
Day 1 , Thu. 21st February 2019
From Stirling we are heading up north into Perthshire and we have a chance for a few stops along the way (picturesque & Victorian Pitlochry, Faskally forest – home of the Enchanted forest – past Blair Castle – the Hours of Bruar, Dalwhinnie distillery and through the Caiirngorm nationalpark, we might stop at the stunning 300 year old Carrbridge and Clava Cairns (the Craig na Dun stone circle of the Outlander book), we cross the spectacular Kessock bridge across the Black Isle and into the wild and spectacular NW with a stop at the deep Corrieshalloch gorge before heading to beautiful Ullapool, from where we catch the ferry at 5.30 pm to Stornoway/Isle of Lewis, where we will be arriving at 8pm.
Stunning ferry ride through Loch Broom and past the summer isles across the Minch with great views of the Outer Hebrides towards Stornoway, before we check in at your hostel right in the heart of Stornoway. You might wish to go for a walk along the harbour or have a pint to end day 1.
Day 2 and Day 3,Fri. 22nd & Sun. 23rd February 2019 (one day on Harris and one day on Lewis)
We have 2 action packed days head of us.
Standing Stone circle of Callanish, the wild, remote and spectacular sea cliffs, beaches and superb mountain and sea views of Western Lewis, one of the strongholds of Scottish Gaelic.
Step back in time to a land of magic and mystery.
Wild, remote scenery, old Celtic traditions, visit Carloway broch, the blackhouse village, Bernerary, Tolsta beach, Uig beach and a full tour around Harris.
We will explore the Isle of Lewis and Isle of Harris – with some of the very best mountain and coastal scenery in Scotland.
Literally 100s of awesome beaches, cliffs and wild coastal scenery, walks, towns and villages along the way – the landscape is epic, breath taking, everything is superlative.
On Sunday everything is shut in Stornoway and for the last night of our 3 nights we are staying at the Otterbunk house close to some of the most dramatic and beautiful scenery in the NW of Lewis.
Day 4, Sunday, 24th February 2019
A bit more time to explore the north, the Ness lighthouse and cliffs, wild and awesome Tolsta beach or towards Tiumpan head lighthouse, on a clear day, you have the very best possible view across to the spectacular mountains in the NW of Scotland and on a calm day, this is one of the best spots for whalewatching, before we are taking the afternoon ferry back departing Stornoway/Isle of Lewis at 2.30 pm to Ullapool arriving at 5pm and drive back for a late arrival back (around 9pm) to Stirling..
£79.00 per person
minimum of 4 people
EXTRAS TO PAY:
- £19 per foot passenger for the return ferry journey
* food, drink, entrance fees (castles, museums, attractions, etc.)
* The Heb hostel
is right in the centre of Stornoway only a few hundred metres from the harbour and all the shops, (all 3 nights – it is prebooked for you and £19 per person per night x 3 nights = £57)
however if you prefer, you are free to stay elsewhere for those 3 nights, incl. a B&B, so long as the first 2 nights are in Stornoway and the last night in the NW of Lewis.
- It will also be possible for anyone to join our tour in Stornoway/Isle of Lewis a day or two later or to leave early, in case you have other commitments
- or also for anyone, who would like to join us for our 1st mid-semester tour to Inverness & the N & NW Highlands a few days before to combine this with this Western Isles tour, so join both tours at a discounted rate