4 day – Isle of Lewis & Harris – Outer Hebrides – February 2020 mid-semester tour – exact dates tbc
£79.00 per person (February 2019 prices) –
2020 low season discounted special tours per person prices tbc
⇒ Please note we would be delighted to run this tour at any stage as a private, small group tour – if you have a group of up to 8 people on one of our still available days
- On our longer multi-day tours on request we offer a per person per day rate to enable you to opt out of or opt in the tour to join and arrive later, to depart and leave earlier or to stay away for longer and allow for more flexibility to accommodate your personal circumstances and preferences. This rate is £19 per person per day on this tour.
- This is also meant to help those of you, who really would like to join our tour, but can’t make the first or last day and the discount will go somewhat in paying for your public transport costs to join us on our tour. We happily advise your options.
- Anyone who is already staying on the Isle of Lewis is welcome to join us on a daily basis subject to seat availability.
Even though we are only a few minutes from Stirling & the Uni, we offer pick up & drop off locations throughout Scotland
– for departure times, links & more info see further down*
EXTRAS TO PAY:
- Accommodation, already pre-booked & pre-paid, Heb-hostel 2 nights x £19 = £38, but it is optional & if you prefer you can opt to stay at some other accommodation
- £19 per foot passenger for the return ferry journey
* food, drink, entrance fees (castles, museums, attractions, etc.) for places, you chose to visit
- multi-day tour
- group choice of daily route on day 2, 3 and 4
- short and medium distance day tours out of Stornoway as chosen by the group
- allowing for some good free time, flexible activities, walking, nature, wildlife, mixed in with sightseeing, stops & visits of lots of wild, remote & spectacular coastal locations and a lot more, including going out for a pint in Stornoway
4 day tour to the Isle of Lewis & Harris on the Outer Hebrides
The tour for nature, wildlife and beach lovers to some of Scotland’s wildest cliffs and ancient monuments.
Stunning journey to Scotland’s outer edge and wild Atlantic coast, to the heart of Scotland’s Gaelic culture, Callanish standing stone circle, Carloway broch, Gearranan blackhouse village, dramatic coastline, beaches, cliffs, bens, lochs & glens. We will visit some of Scotland’s most beautiful beaches, cliffs, mountains and coastal scenery & a nature’s paradise – this is the tour for nature, wildlife and lovers of wild, golden empty beaches..
Key points of your itinerary:
Day 1 , Thu. 21st February 2019
From Stirling we are heading up north into Perthshire and we have a chance for a few stops along the way (picturesque & Victorian Pitlochry, Faskally forest – home of the Enchanted forest – past Blair Castle – the house of Bruar, Dalwhinnie distillery and through the Caiirngorm nationalpark, we might stop at the stunning 300 year old Carrbridge and Clava Cairns (the Craig na Dun stone circle of the Outlander book), we cross the spectacular Kessock bridge across the Black Isle and into the wild and spectacular Northwestern parts of Scotland. We might have to time for a walk down to the Rogie waterfalls, one of the biggest in Scotland and we will have a stop at the stunning 70 m deep Corrieshalloch gorge before heading to beautiful Ullapool. There is plenty to explore, it is a beautiful harbour town and the third biggest ferryport on the Scottish Westcoast after Oban and Mallaig. If there is time, we might also head over for a view over Rhue lighthouse and across to the Summer Isles and into Loch Broom.
From Ullapool we catch the ferry at 5.30 pm to Stornoway/Isle of Lewis, where we will be arriving at 8pm.
Stunning ferry ride through Loch Broom and past the summer isles across the Minch with great views of the Outer Hebrides towards Stornoway,
before we check in at your hostel right in the heart of Stornoway.
You might wish to go for a walk along the harbour or have a pint to end day 1.
Day 2 – Friday, 22nd February &
Day 3 – Saturday, 23rd February 2019
We have 2 action packed days head of us and will explore the Isle of Lewis & Harris- with some of the very best mountain and coastal scenery in Scotland.
One day tour of the Isle of Harris & one day tour of the Isle of Lewis
Isle of Lewis day tour:
Standing Stone circle of Callanish, the wild, remote and spectacular sea cliffs, beaches and superb mountain and sea views of Western Lewis, one of the strongholds of Scottish Gaelic.
Step back in time to a land of magic and mystery.
Wild, remote scenery, old Celtic traditions, visit Carloway broch, the Gearranan blackhouse village, Great Bernera, the Bhaltos peninsula, Uig beach & beyond to some of the most dramatic, wildest and beautiful beach, cliff, mountain and coastal scenery in Scotland.
We might end the day at Tolsta beach for so
Literally 100s of awesome beaches, cliffs and wild coastal scenery, walks, towns and villages along the way – the landscape is epic, breath taking, everything is superlative.
Day 4, Sunday, 24th February 2019
A bit more time to explore the north, the Ness lighthouse and cliffs and
the wild and awesome Tolsta beach or towards Tiumpan head lighthouse, on a clear day, you have the very best possible view across the Minch over to the Scottish mainland and stunning peaks in the Northwest Highlands.
On a calm day, this is one of the best spots for whale watching, before we are taking the afternoon ferry back departing Stornoway/Isle of Lewis at 2.30 pm to Ullapool arriving at 5 pm and drive back for a late arrival back (around 9 pm) to Stirling..
* The Heb hostel
is right in the centre of Stornoway only a few hundred metres from the harbour and all the shops, (all 3 nights are pre-booked for you and £19 per person per night x 3 nights = £57),
however if you prefer, you are free to stay elsewhere for those 3 nights, incl. a B&B, so long as the first 2 nights are in Stornoway and the last night in the NW of Lewis.
Accommodation on our special tours (2 days & longer):
We pre-book and guarantee accommodation for all 8 passengers on all our special tours.
The pre-booked and guaranteed accommodation is a general rule is budget dormitory youth hostel bunk-bed type accommodation in a central and convenient location and depending on where and when typically costs between £12 – £25 per person per night.
We always give you the option to opt-out and find your own private B&B or hotel accommodation nearby, in which case you should advise us early, so we can release those pre-booked bed-spaces.
The tour throughout the day will remain the same, no matter if we pick you up in the morning /drop you off at night at a 5* hotel or hostel, this allows you to pay as little or as much for your accommodation as you like.
Check for additional accommodation info.
Our base is just outside Stirling/University – 45 minutes driving distance from Edinburgh and Glasgow and just over an hour from Dundee and St. Andrews – and we offer:
*Guaranteed pick ups & drop offs from any location
- If you book your own private small group tour with us
- If the special Highlands & Islands tour route passes through or near to your location
*Guaranteed pick up from/drop off Edinburgh/Glasgow/Dundee/St. Andrews/Perth & all locations within 1.5 hours driving of Stirling on our special Highlands & Islands tours:
- On our 2 days & longer multi-day tours, if you book 2 or more passengers
- On 1 day tours, if you book as a group of 4 or more
*Guaranteed pick up from/drop off at locations more than 1.5 hours driving distance away from Stirling on our special Highlands & Islands tours:
- On request, if you book 3 or more passengers on our 2 days & longer multi-day tours
*Guaranteed pick ups & drop offs from the Stirling area:
- Always, on any tour
- Ideally, if at all possible, we like to limit the pick ups to just one convenient time-saving compromise location in central Stirling and a second one at Stirling University, which suits all. We will discuss and confirm once we have received the preferences/addresses of all tour participants.
- The exact departure times and order of pick ups, who we pick up 1st, 2nd, 3rd and when will then be confirmed as well.