Mid-semester tour # 1
Late on Fri, 15th Feb* – Mon. 18th Feb – Inverness & the wild, spectacular N & NW Highlands
£69 per person
minimum of 5 people
departing from Stirling / Uni with possible pick up on request from St. Andrews, Dundee, Perth and places along the way
- *as on Friday, 15th February there are still lectures at Stirling Uni, we will be leaving as soon and early as possible after the last person in our group has finished his/her lectures, so the 15th February is more of a travel date to Inverness and until we know, who is all joining the tour, we won’t be able to confirm a departure time on that day yet – please note for that reason we have also further reduced the tour price – 3 days+ full guided tour for £69 per person – however if we can leave earlier in the day, we will be stopping and touring at places along the way up north at no extra cost
- Spectacular, wild scenery in the Northwestern Highlands, endless options for every interest, walks, wildlife, castles to explore the finest scenery along the Northcoast 500 route and beyond on day excursions from our base in Inverness = £69 pp + hostel (SYHA hostel for £13.50 pppn).
- Depending on the weather we have options to visit Torridon, Loch Maree, Gairloch, Applecross in the NW or Ullapool, Achmelvich, Kylesku, the stunning Durness/Balnakeil beaches in the North or Tarbat Ness lighthouse, historic & beautiful Dornoch & cathedral (this is also where the pop-star Madonna got married), seal colony close up, Scotland’s biggest castle and great scenery in the NE or the beautiful beaches along the Moray Coast combined with the Speyside whisky trail or the Cairngorm nationalpark, Glen Afric or Europe’s northernmost dolphin colony in the Moray Firth, etc.. –
- As this is a min-bus tour, we will be quite flexible and should be able to accommodate some special requests, interests,hobbies, activities, etc. on the trip.
£69.00 per person
Just a few of many places to visit (we will decide based on the weather – (Inverness/Black Isle is the ideal location to explore the Northern Highlands, for example, if there is a storm coming from the West, the East is normally sheltered, there are so many different regions all with their micro-climate, that we will have plenty of choices and the group’s preferences):
- East / Moray coast – Sueno stone, Findhorn Bay, Burghead Pictish fort, Lossiemouth beach, Spey Bay, Speyside whisky trail, etc.
- South / Cairngorm nationalpark / Loch Morlich / Cairngorm mountain resort, 300 year old Carrbridge, etc.
- South / stunning, wild Glen Affric, Loch Ness & the Great Glen, etc.
- Northeast / Tarbat Ness lighthouse, Dornoch, beaches, Loch Fleet seal colony, Dornoch castle, Falls of Shinn, etc.
- West / Applecross / Torridon / Beinn Eighe national nature reserve, Loch Maree , Gairloch area coast and beaches, Inverewe subtropical gardens (still open during the winter), etc.
· The stunning Northwestern Highlands, a geologist’s dream, Coigach, Assynt, Suliven, Inverpolly etc.
· Drive past Ardvreck castle and Loch Assynt to Loch Inver and taking the scenic coastal route with a possible walk to the Old Man of Stoer
· Via Scourie
· Possible option of Kinlochbervie – Sandwood bay beachwalk side trip
· Balnakeil beach – our favourite!!!
· Wild and remote, stunning beach of Durness, Scotland’s northwesterly corner, Smoo Cave
· Drive along the Northcoast Loch Eribol and through the Kyle of Tongue
· Via Altnaharra inland south or if we stay in Thurso, Dunnet bay beach walk, Duncansby cliffs at Scotland’s northeasterly corner walk heading south along the northeast coastline with great coastal views and along Loch Fleet, Dornoch Firth, Cromary Firth, Beauly and Moray Firth, etc.
EXTRAS TO PAY:
* food, drink, entrance fees (castles, museums, attractions, etc.)
* Accommodation near Inverness, the great, modern, friendly, cosy & clean centrally located (for the N, NW, W Highlands and S and E of Inverness) with WIFI, Inverness SYHA hostel, pre-booked and confirmed £13.50 per person per night, but optional as if you prefer to stay somewhere else nearby in Inverness, that is ok as well, you are free to stay where you wish and it won’t make any difference to the tour, as we drop you off at night at your accommodation and in the morning pick you up again.
however if you prefer, you are free to stay elsewhere for those 3 nights, incl. a B&B, hostel options are :
You can chose either
£13.50 per person per night at the SYHA hostel in Inverness
Any other hostel/hotel or guesthouse in Inverness.
- It will also be possible for anyone to join our tour in Inverness later or leave the tour early, if you have time restraints or other commitments and we will discount your tour accordingly
- also for anyone, who would like to join us for our 2nd mid-semester tour to the Western Isles a few days later to combine both tours at a discounted rate, that is possible as we can pick you up in Inverness again on 21st February and it is just one hour by Citylink coach from Inverness to the ferryport of Ullapool, where you could meet up with the next tour and then have 2 – 3 days free time in the Inverness area between tour # 1 and tour # 2